Pictured, 2016 Award winner Vinay Harpalani
The Society of American Law Teachers seeks nominations for the Junior Faculty Teaching Award. Mark your calendars: This year the award will be given at SALT’s Annual Awards Celebration on Friday, January 5, 2018, at a location TBA in San Diego. The award recognizes an outstanding recent entrant (seven years or fewer) into legal education who demonstrates a commitment to justice, equality and academic excellence through his or her teaching. This award is designed to honor all faculty, including clinical, legal research and writing, librarian and doctrinal teachers.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
To be considered for the Junior Faculty Teaching Award, applicants must be:
• Full-time faculty members with no more than seven years of teaching in the law school setting
• Involved in the teaching and advising of students at the time of the nomination
• A current SALT Member. Nominees may click here to join or renew. To check the status of membership, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Junior Faculty Teaching Award is designed to honor a teacher who demonstrates excellence in teaching through some or all of the following broadly construed qualities:
• Commitment to or alignment with the mission of SALT
• Incorporation of social justice themes in the classroom and/or scholarship
• Innovative curricular design in order to teach about diversity and access to justice
• Service to under-served and marginalized populations
• Mentor to others in social justice pedagogy
The successful nominee must also be available to receive the award in person at SALT’s celebration.
Only members of SALT may nominate individuals for the Award. You can click here to join or renew. To check the status of your membership, email email@example.com. Current members of the SALT Board of Governors are not eligible for nomination. Self-nominations are permitted. Nomination materials must include:
• Nominee’s curriculum vitae
• Letter of Nomination
• In the event of self-nomination, two letters of support.
Applications may include a maximum of five pages of supporting documentation including letters of support and other documents. The nomination and supporting materials must be submitted in .doc, docx or .pdf files. Send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 1, 2017.